I’ll never forget that early fall day in 1969 when I came home from school and my mother handed me a letter from the United States Selective Service. I immediately opened the impressively decorated 9” x 12” envelope and found a poster of Uncle Sam declaring he wanted me with my name prominently printed right next to his bony finger. Oddly, my mother did not express any sadness or anxiety, in fact, she grabbed the letter and started to laugh. Why did she react in this odd way? It was probably due to the fact that I was SIX!
Direct mail targeting has come a long way since the sixties. Brands have become so good at targeting their messages that we’ve come to expect a certain level of personalization and are disappointed when our expectations aren’t met. In order for brands to create this level of personal connection, they’re relying on complex segmenting approaches such as variable data printing.
What Is Variable Data Printing?
Variable data printing is a form of digital print production that allows for pinpoint customization. Instead of sending say, 10,000 identical direct mail pieces to customers, marketers can use variable data printing to create10,000 customized pieces in the same amount of time. Sending customized direct mail to each recipient raises conversion rates.
At Post Press Specialties we know how effective variable data printing can be. Using our state-of-the-art data aggregation processing systems, we can help you tailor a unique message for each member of your database. This goes far beyond simply printing unique address labels. Depending on how many data points you have, direct mail pieces can be fully customized for each prospect. For example, a university can target high school students and include references to their current high school, their fields of interest and even the clubs and associations they belong to. Images can be seamlessly altered and reflect particular points of interests to the recipient.
The Benefits of Variable Data Printing
Marketers are utilizing variable printing technology more than ever before. It’s easy to understand why when you consider the benefits:
Leveraging Data: why collect customer data if you aren’t going to use it? Variable data printing makes the most of reporting software, redemption rates, and other analytics by using that information to create tailored campaigns with greater impact and engagement.
Endless Customization: variable data printing goes beyond marketing segmentation to create hundreds or thousands of completely unique pieces for a single campaign.
Quick Turnaround: variable data printing doesn’t require each variation to be ordered, printed, and shipped separately. Instead, thousands of unique printed pieces are executed at mass production rates, making personalized marketing not just simple, but fast! Be assured that Post Press Specialties can meet your deadline.
Increased ROI: PODi and DMA data report that while response rates for non-personalized mail pieces average 2%, personalized pieces have a response rates of 6%—an increase of 300%!
Does it work?
- The vast majority of shoppers (86%) say that personalized marketing impacts their likelihood of making a purchase.
- 94% of marketing professionals across industries said personalization is “important,” “very important,” or “extremely important” for meeting current marketing objectives.
- Nearly a third of shoppers (31%) wish their shopping experience was more personalized.
- 67% of shoppers who’ve experienced personalized marketing are highly in favor of personalized offers based on past experiences.
- 96% of retailers believe that personalization influences what consumers buy.
- Only 39% of retailers currently send personalized product recommendations via email.
- Most brands claim that personalization is a part of their current marketing strategy, with 85% agreeing that their efforts are based on broad segmentation.
- Though personalized messages deliver six times higher transaction rates, only 30% of brands are sending them.
- 60% of marketers say they struggle to personalize content in real time, though 77% believe real-time personalization is crucial to marketing efforts.
- 73% of consumers prefer to purchase from brands that use personal information to create more relevant shopping experiences.
- 45% of online shoppers are more likely to patronize sites that make personalized recommendations.
- 40% of consumers buy more from retailers who personalize their shopping experience across all marketing channels.
The data tells a clear story: when it comes to direct mail marketing, it pays to personalize. Raise engagement rates and boost ROI by making variable data printing a central part of your marketing strategy. Not sure where to start? Post Press Specialties is happy to help! Call us today at 816-257-1919.