Having a great sign that not only attacks attention, but effectively markets your store or product can mean the difference between success and failure. Thankfully, throughout the years, research has shown what are the most common characteristics of winning signage.
1. Be short and to the point – The average attention span of an American is slightly longer than a gnat’s. Seriously, if you can’t convey your message concisely, you’re risking failure. Customers are in a hurry, respect that.
2. Use Fonts that are easy to read – Don’t get too fancy. Basic easy to read fonts work best.
3. State the customers reasons to buy your product or service – Sometimes you have to tell your customers exactly why they need your product. An active voice sells better than a passive one.
4. Use the words “You” and “Yours” – These words create a sense of ownership with the customer. “You’ll be a hero with your kids if you buy Bengani’s Pizza.”
5. Less is more – People respond better when the message is simple. This is especially true of billboard advertising. If your potential customer is traveling at 65 miles per hour, you better not waste time. Studies have shown that billboards with more than ten words often don’t perform well.
6. Test your sign – Make a mock of your sign and have co-workers, friends and customers give their opinion. Can they read it? Is the font large enough? Does the message make sense? Post Press can help you with visual enhancements such as foil stamping and three dimensional textures. Call us at 816-257-1919 and we’ll be happy to discuss options. Or fill out a contact form and we’ll get back to you.
7. Have fun – Humor is great at getting attention. Fun signs mean fun customers.
Check out this video: