Post Press Specialties offers a wide array of different binding options. We’re experts in perfect, wire-o, plastic coil, spiral wire and concealed binding. We’re also proficient in stitching applications such as loop and saddle stitching.
Of all the softcover book binding methods we offer, saddle stitching is one of the most popular. Saddle stitching is perfect for a variety of book types, such as: catalogs, manuals, booklets, programs, multi-page brochures, newsletters, periodicals, wall calendars and mailers.
Saddle Stitching is a relatively simple method that joins the folded pages and cover with at least two wire staples placed through the crease of the book’s spine. For over twenty-five years, we’ve been assisting commercial printers throughout the Midwest, helping them to produce professional looking documents.
Some of the benefits of saddle stitching are:
- Cost – Oftentimes, saddle stitching is the least expensive option.
- Turnaround Time – Usually saddle stitching takes less time than other binding methods.
- Small Quantities – It can be used for very short production runs.
- Size– saddle stitching can be used for a wide variety of sizes.
- Design – Designing a saddle stitch piece is generally very easy.
- Mailing – Saddle stitching will add minimal weight to a printed piece. This is especially important for pieces that will be mailed.
- Versatility – Saddle stitch projects can be printed in color or black and white.
Alas, saddle stitching does have some limitations. Keep in mind the following:
- Thickness – Depending on the weight and caliper of the paper stock, saddle stitching might not be a good option. Bulky books might be too thick to fold properly. Post Press Specialties will be happy to discuss any and all specifications.
- Spine – There is no room to print anything on the spine. This is a problem for certain projects.
- Power of Four – Saddle Stitched books are created from folded sheets, thus the page count must be in multiples of four.
If you have any questions about saddle stitching or any of our print enhancement and bindery services, please don’t hesitate to contact Post Press Specialties at 816-257-1919. Located in Missouri, we’ve been serving the commercial printing industry for a quarter century.